Wednesday, September 14, 2011

4 days after second chemo

And we made it almost through the second round!
I did get sick again but this time was different. I was better prepared, I had more help and my side effects were different.
Just like the first time I did not get sick at the day of my chemo. I got sick the day after.
I was nauseas, tired, drained, exhausted and just beat.
My face, feet and hands are swollen like the last time and it's very uncomfortable. Especially in my fingers, it feels like Arthritis. It's hard for me to open a bottle of water or to pick up Chloe.
I also have nerve damage. That's loss of sensation, problems with balance, difficulty walking, hearing loss.
It's not very bad but bad enough that I have to be careful not to burn my hands in hot water, can't feel the room temperature like I used to, and have to be careful not to burn Chloe with hot food or tub water. The last time it got better within 2 weeks. I read that the nerve fibers re- grow but it takes time.
The side effect that bothers me the most is the chemo brain! Some people call it mental cloudiness or foggy thinking and to me it feels like I can only use 30% of my brain.
I keep forgetting things and can't think straight. Even typing this post is like a science project.
Sometimes I hear a random noise. like a sprinkler, and my brain just can't figure out what it is. Like today when my neighbor was vacuuming. It sounded like air was blowing through a window and it took me about 2 minutes to figure out what it was. You really don't know how complex and truly amazing your brain works until you can't use it to it's full potential anymore.
Luckily I did not have the same pain like the last time. This time it wasn't my back, only my legs and arms. It's easier to rest your legs than your back. And it feels like I ran cross country and not like I got into a car accident, so that's a plus.
Other side effects I have are dry skin, dry mouth, I have probably 20% of my hair left, hair on my body is gone, my vision got worse, food tastes horrible but I still have an appetite, I've gained 5 pounds in 2 days, upset stomach, constipation, I had a fever today, headache, and for some reason my nose feels like it's broken.
So this time I wanted to get through the side effects as fast and smooth as possible. I tried not to take as many pain meds as the last time because I wanted to prevent those side effects on top of the ones I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment